ASSIOA SUMMER SCHOOL 2021
In cooperation with
First Edition – 6-9 September 2021
With this course starts the cooperation between ASSIOA and VHB-ProDok, the support program for doctorates in business studies of VHB (the Academic Association of Business Research in German-speaking countries equivalent of the Italian AIDEA). VHB-ProDok offers up to 40 courses, mostly in English language, on interdisciplinary method topics and monodisciplinary content-related and/or methodological issues in Management & Organization, Accounting, Finance, Marketing, Operations or Business Information Systems and Engineering. ASSIOA members can access VHB-ProDok courses at the same conditions as VHB members and vice versa.
Organization and Management Theory
This course is centered on broad topics related to social evaluation, from categorization to status, stigma, boundary work, moral legitimacy and inequality in organizations. The material ranges from ‘recent classics’, to papers fresh from print, to unpublished empirical cases. Students will be asked to prepare in advance in order to present the main themes of the assigned literature and discuss empirical material with a hands on approach.
- Exposure to advanced and emerging themes (and their established roots) in the field of management and organization
- Understanding the broad variety of methods (inductive, deductive and abductive) used in the field in a complementary way
- Learning different abductive methods and Dos and Don’ts in abductive theorizing
- Doctoral students interested in organization and management topics
- Doctoral students at later stages of their studies (promising candidates at initial stages will be considered)
- The course is aimed at students in organization and management disciplines but has applicability in other domains of social-economic science. Students of strategy, international management, operation and information management, human resource management and entrepreneurship should find value in this course.
Date, Location, Contacts
6-9 September 2021
University of Padova, Department of Economics and Management
The course is in face-to-face format and will only take place if the large majority of participants will confirm their physical presence.
Depending on the pandemic situation a minority of virtual participation options will be considered. A COVID-19 safety concept is planned and will be communicated.
Faculty members are already all vaccinated or will be vaccinated by then.
Local academic contact
Associate Prof. Diego Campagnolo (email@example.com)
For further information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Prof. Dr. Giuseppe Delmestri, Head of the Institute of Change Management and Management Development, Department of Management, WU Vienna University of Economics and Business – https://www.wu.ac.at/cmmd/staff/giuseppe-delmestri
Prof. Dr. Filippo Carlo Wezel, Professor of Organization and Management, Director of the Institute of Management and Organization at the Faculty of Economics of Università della Svizzera Italiana – for a full bio see http://usi.to/f6g
6.9.2021 – Day 1, ca. 10am-6pm
Morning (3.5 hours) — Categorization (Wezel & Delmestri)
Afternoon (3.5 hours) — Economic impact of categorization (Wezel & Delmestri)
7.9.2021 – Day 2, ca. 9am-5pm
Morning (3.5 hours) — Organizational status (Wezel & Delmestri)
Afternoon (3.5 hours) — Category dynamics (Delmestri & Wezel)
8.9.2021 – Day 3, ca. 9am-5pm
Morning (3.5 hours) — Boundary work and evaluation (Delmestri & Wezel)
Afternoon (3.5 hours) — Moral legitimacy (Delmestri & Wezel)
9.9.2021 – Day 4, ca. 9am-4pm
Morning (3 hours) — Stigma (Delmestri & Wezel)
Afternoon (3 hours) — Inequality in organizations (Wezel & Delmestri)
The six sessions without case studies are organized in the following way:
- one or more session leaders selected in advance among the participants introduce the topic of the session based on the listed papers (bolded and not bolded in the syllabus linked here).
- Their task is not to summarize the papers that everybody is anyway required to read, but to introduce the plenary discussion highlighting in a high bird view the major themes of the papers, how the topic is placed within the overall literature and some critical issues. Session leaders are expected to prepare a presentation with up to 6 slides and to restrict their introduction to 10 minutes.
- In the rest of the session we all together discuss each bolded paper in detail.
- Sessions leaders will be informed in advance of the course of the topic/session to which they have been assigned.
The two sessions with case studies are organized in the following way:
- the case discussion is lead by a professor or an assigned student
- then the session continues as above
- Case discussion leaders will be informed in advance of the course.
On Monday and Wednesday evening social events are planned including keynote speeches and discussions with prominent figures of the Italian social and economic landscape.
On Tuesday, after class, we plan an informal visit of local aperitivo-place.
We finish a bit earlier on Thursday to allow interested participants to attend the conference WOA2021 in Genova (Friday & Saturday: https://woa2021.assioa.it). The sessions of the conference of the Italian Association of Organization Studies are held in English.
Assioa or VHB members: 500 Euro
Non Assioa or VHB members: 560 Euro
The fee includes all the evening social events scheduled during the summer school.
The registration fee must be paid via bank transfer at the following bank account:
ASSIOA Associazione Italiana di Organizzazione aziendale IBAN: IT37 Y030 6912 1691 0000 0005 464 BIC BCITITMM INTESA SANPAOLO - FILIALE DI PADOVA VIA VIII FEBBRAIO 20
The Summer School will take place at the Department of Economics and Managment “M. Fanno” of the University of Padova – Via Ugo Bassi 1, 35123 Padova (see here the map)
Several hotels are available all over the city. Please note that a special fare is agreed in favor of the summer school participants at the following hotel:
Hotel Casa del Pellegrino when booking please insert the code “ATMOT21” to get a 10% discount on the regular fare. The Hotel is located in Padova’s old downtown, right next to the Saint Anthony’s Basilica, and is at 15 minutes walking distance from the location of the Summer School.
A list of other hotels is available in the usual online agencies.